Exfoliating your skin daily after toning will shed dead skin cells to reveal fresh cells lying below the skin’s surface, creating a more youthful appearance. Exfoliating also unclogs pores of dead skin cells allowing sebum (natural skin oils) to flow normally, reducing blemishes.
There are two types of exfoliates Alpha Hydroxy Acid (AHA), or Beta Hydroxy Acid (BHA).
AHA is best suited for normal to dry, sun-damaged skin because it only exfoliates on the very surface of skin rather than inside the pore. Choose an 8% Alpha Hydroxy Acid Gel for optimum results.
BHA also exfoliates on the surface of skin but has extra properties that make it better for normal to oily, combination and blemish-prone skin. Salicylic acid can exfoliate inside the pore and has anti-inflammatory and mild antibacterial benefits. If you have oily skin, a 1% BHA gel will work best for you. If you have very oily skin with moderate to severe breakouts, a 2% BHA liquid is usually a better choice. If you have normal to combination or slightly dry skin, choose a BHA lotion.
AHAs for Normal to Dry Skin
- Derma E – AHA Alpha Hydroxy Acids Beauty Fluid – 60 ml - $21
- DHC – Renewing AHA Cream – 45 ml - $45
- MD Formulations– Moisture Defense Antioxidant Lotion – 30 ml - $55
BHAs for Normal to Oily
- Neutrogena – Oil-Free Acne Stress Control 3-in-1 Hydrating Acne Treatment –59 ml - $13
- Nu Skin – Clear Acne Action Medication Night Treatment – 30 ml - $55
- Clinique – Skin Conditioning Treatment – 30 ml - $72
(c) Copyright 2009, The Ring Bearer Ltd., All Rights Reserved. No material within the web pages of theringbearer.ca may be duplicated in any way without express written consent by authorized management of The Ring Bearer Ltd.