Before you buy your wedding cake, get all the advice you need from Buddy Valastro, star of TLC’s hit reality show, Cake Boss.
Even with his busy schedule, master baker and cake decorator, Buddy, spoke with TheRingBearer.ca about what every bride and groom should ask before choosing a wedding cake designer.
Here are Buddy’s Top 5 Questions:
1. Are they a reputable company? How long have they been in business?
2. How well do their cakes taste? Arrange a tasting. “A tasting is a great way to get to know the bakery and ask more questions,” he says.
3. How do they deliver? "Do they have refrigerated trucks or will the cake go in the back of their Toyota?"
4. How many cakes can the company do in a weekend? How many can they handle? (Buddy does 50-60)
5. Ask to see their portfolio. “Their portfolio showcases their work, which will prove they have talent. Don’t just show them a picture and have them say, ‘yes I can do that’ without proof of previous work.”
Buddy’s Cake Tips
Don’t always go for the cheapest price. “You want to go for the most bang for your buck,” he says. “Someone who might be less expensive – who works out of their house – doesn’t have the overhead of a bakery, but what comes along with that is the worry and concern about whether or not your cake will make it to your venue.”
Don't waste your money on a 10 tier cake to feed your guests (unless you really want a 10 tier). Instead ask the bakery to create a smaller wedding cake for the bride and groom and make a sheet cake (which is less expensive) to feed the rest of your guests. Showcase the smaller wedding cake and have the wait staff dish out the sheet cake from the back.
Buddy loves his Canadian fans and is honoured that so many Canadians love his show. To see a collection of Buddy's famous wedding cakes, go to our Cake&Desserts gallery by clicking on the link below.
(c) Copyright 2009, The Ring Bearer Ltd., All Rights Reserved. No material within the web pages of theringbearer.ca may be duplicated in any way without express written consent by authorized management of The Ring Bearer Ltd.