Are you in the mood for an exotic feast tonight? Check out TheRingBearer.ca’s Mango salad and Caribbean jerk chicken recipe. Make the evening more romantic by pairing the exotic flavours of the Caribbean with the right wine.
Caribbean Chicken or Pork Mango Salad
- 3/4 pound cooked ed chicken breasts or pork cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 6 cups mixed
- 1 15-ounce can rinsed and drained
- 1/4 red halved and then thinly sliced
- 2 ripe peeled and cubed
- 1/2 cup of your favourite vinaigrette dressing
Gently toss all ingredients in a large bowl.
Generally, white wines like Sauvignon Blanc are best paired with Caribbean salads.
Our Pick: Adone, Trebbiano d’Abruzzo by Gentile Vini
Caribbean Jerk Chicken
There are different variations to jerk chicken, but the ingredients that make the ‘jerk’ flavour are scotch bonnet peppers, scallions, and/or allspice.
- 8 cloves of garlic, minced.
- 5 scotch bonnet peppers (you can use habanera or jalapenos if unavailable) sliced.
- 3 to 4 pounds of chicken breasts or drumsticks
- 3 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp. ground allspice
- 2 Tbsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 2Tbsp. ground black pepper
- 1 Tsp nutmeg
- 1 Tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 Tsp ginger
- Liquify onions, garlic and pepper in blender.
- To make the jerk sauce, blend all ingredients. Don’t blend the chicken.
- Cut chicken to manageable pieces.
- Rub sauce on the chicken. Marinade chicken in the jerk sauce overnight.
- Bake in oven 20 minutes at 325 degrees C° on each side. If you want it a little crispy, bake on each side for 375 degrees C° for 10 minutes on each side to create a little crisp.
To combat the spice of the jerk chicken, select white wines that are slightly sweeter. White wines from Napa Valley, Chardonnay from California.
Our pick: Medea, Pecorino IGT Alto Tirino, Gentile Vini
Related ArticlesMandarin Poppy-Seed Salad